Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A Psalm.

Psalm 42:8 (The Message)

6-8 When my soul is in the dumps, I rehearse
everything I know of you,
From Jordan depths to Hermon heights,
including Mount Mizar.
Chaos calls to chaos,
to the tune of whitewater rapids.
Your breaking surf, your thundering breakers
crash and crush me.
Then God promises to love me all day,
sing songs all through the night!
My life is God's prayer.

That was the verse of the day at Bible Gateway today. It's a good one. ..."When my soul is in the dumps, I rehearse everything I know of you..." I love that....it's like a one step process for getting out of the dumps....just recite, rehearse and say out loud all the things we know about the Lord, like his lovingkindess, his mercy, his grace, his power, and more. I guess what the author of this scripture might be saying is that...when you feel small because of your circumstances around you....rehearse what you know of the Lord...making Him bigger...which increases your confidence that the Lord is ABLE, to meet all of our needs...and to see us through. That's comforting to me. By rehearsing all that we know of Him...we are forcing our mind to think differently, and with that, we are in turn changing our perspective to a God perspective in the process...and that my friend, empowers us.

I had already finished the first paragraph and the last one...and then read the scripture again..when these lines jumped out at me, 'Chaos calls to chaos, to the tune of whitewater rapids. Your breaking surf, your thundering breakers crash and crush me.' I'm forever trying to make scripture applicable to my own life, so when I try to think of how to do that with these words...I just think of the stuff that that is 'loud' in my life, things that are distracting--but then his thundering breakers crash and crush me. I think that is a postive thing. He breaks me and crushes me, like a potter forms the clay..turning me into what he longs for me to be....then promises to love me and sing songs all through the night....

"Then God promises to love me all day, sing songs all through the night! My life is God's prayer." What an amazing scripture. It's reassurance that the Lord is watching over us in love...and is singing songs to us all through the night. When I hear, 'sings songs all through the night,' it reminds me of a parent sweetly singing over there child at night to get them to sleep. The sound of a parent's voice is comforting, soothing and reassures us that we are protected by that parent. The same with the Lord--he sings over us, his voice comforts us, soothes us, reassures us and makes us feel protected.

How could you not want your life to be God's prayer? It moves me to no end.

1 comment:

Deb said...

Thank you so much for the Daily Devotion.

Love Daniel's pose of a track star. Too funny!

The DVD "The Italian Job" is good!

Blog Archive